Motif Foodworks, Inc.
Director, Fermentation & Bioprocessing
Motif FoodWorks (www.madewithmotif.com) is creating the next generation of delicious plant-based food. As a food technology and innovation company, Motifdevelops breakthrough ingredients and finished products that unleash the promise of plant-based foods and transform the eating experience – from first bite to lasting impact. Motif is driven by the science of more. More taste. More texture. More choices for consumers. Based in Boston, Massachusetts, Motif designs its ecosystem of products for people of all habits and beliefs and with the health and sustainabilityof the planet always in mind.
Motif FoodWorks is a well-financed, nimble organization with seasoned executives who have led food businesses along with disruptive startups and have strong track records of delivering growth and innovation to the industry. Exclusive partnerships with world class technology partners, leading scientists, and academic institutions allow the Company to leverage Gingko Bioworks along with proprietary ingredient technology, fundamental physical insights, and culinary expertise to optimize familiar foods and create new food experiences.
About the role
Ready to be part of something really big? We are looking for a highly motivated Bioprocess Director to contribute on all aspects of managing the fermentation team and downstream processing team, as well as supporting the tech transfer team which manages pilot and CMO activities.
The ideal candidate will be self-directed, highly collaborative and enjoy working with a team in a fast-paced startup environment, while bringing his/her experience, expertise and innovative ideas.
- Lead and manage R&D fermentation team and DSP team to ensure successful delivery of project for process development and sample production on targeted timeline.
- Manage and own weekly to monthly deliverables from fermentation and DSP labs.
- Provide strong technical guidance to both fermentation and DSP teams for project needs.
- Manage daily operations in two labs and routine maintenance of lab equipment.
- Support project leads to design and conduct studies aimed at improving processing metrics for intracellular and secretion products, including fermentation, cell separations and disruptions, TFF, chromatography and drying technologies.
- Design and build cost model, process model and process flow diagram for techno-economic analysis of fermentation and DSP unit operations.
- Support technical transfer between lab, pilot and manufacture facilities.
- Contribute to continuous improvement efforts on production optimization and process development.
- Communicate outcomes of studies, recommendations, and next steps to R&D Leadership.
- Ph.D. or Master of Science degree with 5+ years of industrial experience.
- Field of study: Biological Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related areas.
- Experience in industrial aerobic microbial fermentation and DSP required.
- Pilot or plant experience with protein fermentation and purification highly desired.
- Industrial biotechnology experience, demonstrating delivery of value to the business through execution of projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with both technical and non-technical personnel.
- Highly motivated, excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, and able to multitask in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Demonstrate a high degree of dedication and ownership of research projects
- Proven ability to work independently and effectively plan and organize work activities and prioritize task completion to meet schedules and deadlines
- Hands-on approach, willingness to be tenacious, dive into details to help support and improve projects
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills
Culture Fit & Impact
- Understands how to work in a rapidly growing start-up
- Able to deal effectively with ambiguity and changing priorities
- Thrives under pressure and desires to learn and grow
- Mission-driven and interested in transforming the food industry
- Team engagement essential to productive growth within R&D
Must be willing to travel up to 20% of time when necessary
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the US. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa or consider any international candidates at this time.
Motif FoodWorks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Motif Foodworks, Inc. makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.