Manager of Business Development
Motif FoodWorks (www.madewithmotif.com) is creating the next generation of delicious plant-based food. As a food technology and innovation company, Motif develops breakthrough ingredients and finished products that unleash the promise of plant-based foods and transform the eating experience – from first bite to lasting impact. Motif is driven by the science of more. More taste. More texture. More choices for consumers. Based in Boston, Massachusetts, Motif designs its ecosystem of products for people of all habits and beliefs and with the health and sustainability of the planet always in mind.
Motif FoodWorks is a well-financed, nimble organization with seasoned executives who have led food businesses along with disruptive startups and have strong track records of delivering growth and innovation to the industry. Exclusive partnerships with world class technology partners, leading scientists, and academic institutions allow the Company to leverage Gingko Bioworks along with proprietary ingredient technology, fundamental physical insights, and culinary expertise to optimize familiar foods and create new food experiences.
About the Role
Motif is seeking an experienced business development professional to commercialize our platform by pursuing long-term growth and revenue from customers, markets, and relationships. Our ideal candidate is ready dive right in, take the lead, use initiative, and help build acceptance and adoption of our product portfolio. Highly skilled at hunting for new customers and business, this person will report directly to the Vice President of Commercial and be responsible for planning and executing our business development goals, strategies, and objectives to successfully expand the business. The Manager must flourish in a fast-paced environment, within a rapidly growing organization and fully understand the fundamental drivers of the business, customers, partners, and competition.
- Accountable for customer acquisition, development, and relationships that drive the commercial value of Motif’s innovation platform.
- Lead creation of annual business development plans that target key customers and partners, supported by adequate resources to ensure success.
- Own customer/channel performance vs. plan, forecast accuracy, and delivery of monthly and annual revenue objectives.
- Leverage data and analytical thinking to develop insights critical to making smart decisions in pursuit of long-term business value.
- Work cross-functionally with R&D, Marketing, Finance, and Operations to ensure successful development and delivery of customer plans, helping to meet or exceed our goals.
- Leverage strong connections and existing relationships within the food and beverage industry to accelerate Motif’s progress.
- Develop and execute effective plans for industry trade shows, conferences, and networking events leading to quantifiable results.
- Utilize company CRM and ERP software to track leads, prospects, and projects through to completion and attainment of goals.
- BS/BA degree required, MBA a plus.
- Proficient in MS Office and ERP/CRM platforms.
- Located remotely with ability to travel up to 50% of the time or as the business requires.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the food and beverage Industry, with a history of success in selling value-added food ingredients and flavors
- Experience in a science-based business with a strong ability to translate technical details into practical applications and solutions.
- Proven track record of achieving or exceeding sales and profit objectives.
- Broad success in managing through challenging negotiations and securing high dollar value, multi-year agreements.
- Strong business development skills and financial acumen.
- Strong strategic thinking, leadership, teamwork, and analytical skills.
- Clear ability to operate both within a team and independently, and to manage change in a complex and ambiguous environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Sense of humor and humble. We are passionate about what we do but are also able to roll with the punches and laugh at ourselves. You should too.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the US. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa or consider any international candidates at this time.
Motif FoodWorks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Motif Foodworks, Inc. makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.