Job Location: Anchor Way - Hood River, OR
Position Type: Full Time
Education Level: High School
Salary Range: $18.26 - $18.26 Hourly
Travel Percentage: Negligible
Job Shift: Any
Job Category: QA - Quality Control
For more than 35 years, Turtle Island Foods (d.b.a. The Tofurky Company) has been producing the friendliest food on the plate for plant-eaters, meat-eaters, and people who resist labels. Our mission is to make great food everyone can enjoy, and we do it with respect for people, animals, and the planet. We carry out our mission by getting every bacon-chomping, barbecue-loving eater out there to see the wisdom of a plant-based diet by talking about what everyone wants to talk about: the food that makes them happy! Today, The Tofurky Company, a subsidiary of Morinaga Nutritional Foods, Inc., offers yumminess in over 35 products at over 25,000 grocery stores with our plant-based protein, Tofurky, and our dairy-free Moocho cheese.
At Tofurky, we may not all have the same beliefs about diet, sustainability, or what goes best with french fries. We’re not a monoculture (and we like it that way). But we can all get behind our mission of respect – whether it’s respect for our shared planet, for all species, for human health, or for our community and workforce. We are sure of one thing: people, animals, and the environment matter more than profit margins.
Food safety and quality are the highest priorities for our company. The Quality Assurance (QA) Technician I fills an essential role in the monitoring and verification of our food safety and quality systems. Through daily process checks as well as short- and long-term projects, the QA Tech I will monitor and verify critical food safety steps and process parameters during production so that our customers can always enjoy our product with full confidence and comply with food and trade legislation. A successful QA tech follows quality and production SOPs consistently, has an inquisitive mode of thinking, seeks out new knowledge, communicates concerns and ideas proactively, and communicates effectively with all levels of staff verbally and in writing.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Perform and document process checks throughout production (packaging, sanitation, warehousing, cold storage, etc). GMP audits and direct observation. Sanitation verification, gluten testing, package integrity, and other data collection activities.
- Sample submissions of product samples to external laboratories for analysis. Reporting and archiving of the results.
- Maintain accurate and organized records of QA activities
- On-the-job training with different workgroups.
- Research quality and food safety issues. Reports to be delivered to management.
- Process development, and composing standard operating procedures
- Actively supports all company sustainability initiatives.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This job spends approximately 75% on the production floor environment with approximately 25% in an office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. This position is regularly required to enter both the lab and/or production floor and must follow personnel procedures pertaining to dress and code of conduct in those areas.
The employee is regularly required to stand or walk for the majority of the shift in a production setting. While performing some of the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, reach, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Other physical duties such as pushing, pulling, and lifting. Occasionally required to safely lift and/or tilt up to 50 lbs.
This is an hourly, non-exempt position. The target compensation for this position is $18.26 per hour. The typical work schedule is Monday through Thursday, with 10-hour shifts. Occasional long days and weekends may be required. This is a fully on-site role at our facility in Hood River, OR. Travel between Hood River locations is frequent (2 miles apart). No long-distance travel is expected for this position.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Basic math and literacy
- Ability to understand and operate basic product testing equipment when necessary.
- High-level organizational skills including, but not limited to written and verbal communication, creative problem solving, and company goals in mind.
Preferred Education and Experience
- 4-year degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Microbiology, or related field
- Technical writing experience
- Proficient with MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- 2 year degree or certificate of training in food manufacturing (food safety, HACCP, SQF)
- Conversant and literate in Spanish
- Experience working in a food manufacturing environment.
- Familiar with FDA cGMP’s,
- Experience in preparation for 3rd party compliance audits/inspections.
The Tofurky Company does not currently support immigration processing or provide Visa sponsorship. All applicants must be able to provide legal proof of their eligibility to work in the U.S.
The Tofurky Company values a diverse workforce. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Tofurky Company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Tofurky Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location where the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Tofurky is committed to the inclusion of all qualified individuals. In keeping with our commitment, Tofurky will take steps to ensure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation. Tofurky complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and/or receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please click the appropriate button on this page to begin the application process. Be sure to complete the application in entirety and include your resume. For assistance or to follow up on your previously submitted application, contact us at email@example.com.