Continuous Improvement – Food Science Co-Op (2024-2025)
This posting is for a co-op position on the US Continuous Improvement team focusing on product and process optimization and supply chain technical support located in Hershey, PA. Students will gain real world experience in the Consumer Packaged Goods and Food Processing Industry and develop professionally in a progressive manner with an increasing amount of responsibility. This position is a unique opportunity to apply food science skills to real world problems focusing on the optimization of both processes and products. Co-ops will work directly food scientists and engineers to support efforts such as ingredient evaluations, lab testing, product reformulations, and process improvements. This position is intended for students who are interested in and capable of working full-time for a duration of 12 to 15 months starting in May/June 2024.
Typical Student assignments & responsibilities may include:
- Designing and conducting pilot and production scale processes and tests, documenting and evaluating data, writing technical reports and presenting results
- Ingredient, supplier and formula evaluations based on established procedures under guidance of technical professionals
- Perform lab and production trials to evaluate formula changes
- Plan and execute production trials to evaluate process changes aiming to reduce cost or improve efficiency
- Working with multidisciplinary teams including personnel from manufacturing, product development, analytical research, quality assurance, industrial engineering, electrical engineering, packaging engineering, equipment manufacturers, and installation contractors
- Designing, troubleshooting, and optimizing manufacturing processes and products
- Identification, development and specification of ingredients and/or processes that may be new to Hershey or confectionery industry
- Supporting technical professionals in preparing chocolate and confectionery samples
- Support of manufacturing trials which could include off-shift coverage
The Continuous Improvement group provides technical resources to support the US supply chain.
- Hands-on plant optimization and troubleshooting of processes and product formulations
- Support of reformulation of existing products by evaluating recipes and process parameters through plant testing
- Validation of reformulation and processes from lab to manufacturing implementation
- Investigation and validation of alternative manufacturing technologies for existing products
- Support of our growth and margin improvement efforts with specific focus on ingredients and key commodities
- Identifying, researching, and implementing new technologies to improve supply chain execution
- Execution of strategic commodity projects to improve supply chain flexibility and provide opportunities for margin protection and improvement
- Application of food science knowledge and lean / six sigma methodology to analyze data and provide recommendations
At the time of employment, must currently be enrolled with good standing as an undergraduate student majoring in Food Science, or a similar program at the sophomore level or higher.
- Passionate with a strong desire to make a difference
- Intellectually curious and able to deal with ambiguity
- Strong problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills
- Ability to apply understanding of sciences (biology, chemistry, food technology, engineering) and mathematics to provide technical support to the business
- Action oriented with good planning and prioritization skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to work both independently and in multidisciplinary groups/teams with a high level of motivation
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills along with creativity, flexibility, and initiative
- A desire to work hands-on in the laboratory, pilot plant, and manufacturing environments with equipment & products.
- Proficiency with common Windows based computer software programs, including Microsoft Office 365 suite
- Experience or familiarity with statical software such as Minitab is preferred
- Eligibility to work in the United States for any employer
- A valid Drivers’ License and a means of reliable transportation
- Willingness and ability to travel and work in our North American manufacturing facilities or other assignments as required, up to 50% of the time
- Availability to work on a flexible schedule from time to time including off-shifts and weekends
- Ability to lift fifty pounds
- Note: The expectation is to be available to be on-site at the Hershey Technical Center and manufacturing plants, but there may be remote work from home pending the current work environment.
Please be advised that The Hershey Company welcomes all applicants to internships. However, Hershey will not provide immigration-related support for these internships.
Hershey also will not provide immigration-related sponsorship (such as H-1B) for entry-level roles should you later apply for one of those roles in the future.