Eclipse has developed the world's firstplant-based dairy tech platform which makes plant-based products that are indistinguishable from conventional dairy. We are the team behind JUST Mayo, have chef’d/ staged at 16 Michelin stars, and are alt-protein experts. We’ve raised over $60M from leading investors such as Y Combinator, the chairman of Beyond Meat, the founder of Reddit, the creator of Gmail, a former Dreyer’s exec, various top-tier VCs, and more. Our mission is to create a more sustainable, healthy, and humane food system by making amazing plant-based foods that require no sacrifice.
Joining Eclipse Foods as the Senior Food Scientist, you will be bringing the next massive plant-based food brand to consumers.
Who are we?
- We’re the next massive plant-based food company, revolutionizing the $500B dairy sector
- We’re on a mission to save our planet, our health, and animals by creating a solution to fix the food system
- We’re the people behind some of the best-selling plant-based products in the world (JUST mayo, for example)
- We’ve raised over $60M from renowned investors such as Y Combinator, the Chairman of Beyond Meat, the Founder of Reddit, Forerunner Ventures, Initialized Capital, Sozo Ventures, and more - all to achieve our audacious vision and mission
- We launched the first-ever dairy-free shake available at a national chain (Smashburger) and have partnered with some of the best chefs in the world, including Michael Tusk of Quince (3 Michelin stars) and Corey Lee of Benu (3 Michelin stars)
- We’re people of integrity. We do what we say we will do, we treat others right, we care deeply about those around us, and we put our hearts into our work.
- We are constantly hustling to get things done that need to get done. We all roll up our sleeves and “do the dishes”. We embody the spirit of a startup.
- Last, but not least, we are CREAMY. Our values are Communication, Respect, Ego-free, Attentive, Moral compass points north, and Yes we can attitude. If you embody all of these values, you’ll fit right in.
Who are you?
- You have a Ph.D. in Food Science or related field with 4 years or MS with 6 years of in-industry work experience.
- Well-rounded Food Scientist with expertise in food chemistry, food textures, food ingredients, and flavors.
- Strong believer in the scientific method for solving food development challenges.
- Strong insights in food engineering, food processing equipment, and scale-up of products.
- Experience with dairy / non-dairy and in making products using plant-derived ingredients is highly preferred.
- Experience in Genesis and Product labeling is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of sensory methods, consumer testing, functional proteins, and functional ingredients.
- You are reliable, proactive, and a go-getter willing to jump right in!
- You are scrappy, hands-on, and highly-motivated to roll up your sleeves and jump into the weeds.
- You have an ownership mindset and are a strategic thinker. Setting goals and priorities when appropriate, creating and executing plans, measuring KPIs and metrics, and aligning tactics with key results all come naturally to you.
- You are curious, constantly seeking opportunities to improve, optimize, and innovate.
- You’re a fantastic team player. You work smarter, communicate effectively, and are low-ego.
- You’re incredibly nimble, innovative, and a leader in ambiguous situations. You create solutions to problems, take proactive ownership, and keep a positive attitude even when times are tough.
- You’re passionate about your work. You care deeply about changing our food system.
- You’re a great person, in and out of work. You practice humility, are smart, proactive, trustworthy, kind, organized and hard-working.
- You currently reside in or are willing to relocate to the Bay area.
What will you do?
- You will be an integral part of the Product Development team as a Senior Food Scientist.
- Spearhead new product development from benchtop to scale up where you will have full ownership over product lines and portfolios / create products that will reduce climate change, human health issues, and animal suffering.
- Work on projects across PD and R&D to assist in bringing new products to life as well as improving current products and processes. There is no project too big or too small for this role and it will encompass everything from new product development to quality, sensory, and process development and everything in between.
- Develop and refine product development and sensory science protocols and methods.
- Implement quality control and assurance standards for products.
- Leading projects on sensory evaluation of products
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders on new projects and initiatives and ensure regulatory compliance and product safety and labeling.
- Source and evaluate new ingredients for new and existing products.
- Help manage relationships with suppliers and key development partners.
- Coordinate and assist in shelf life, stability, and other product tests.
- Own the design, documentation, and qualification, of new projects and new products.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts in product quality and gross margin.
- Engage cross-functionally with all departments to accomplish company-wide goals.
This is a full-time position with a hybrid work environment (remote permitted one day per week). Our headquarters and new R&D labs and pilot plant are located in Alameda, CA, where we offer free gym & on-site Peloton access, kayak & paddle board rentals, on-site parking, public transit shuttles, and more. The company also offers a 401K company match, flexible PTO, office snacks, team lunch on Fridays, company paid subscription to Headspace, and more.
The annual base salary range for this position is between $120,000 - $140,000 based on qualifications + equity options + benefits.
The above represents the expected annual salary for this job requisition. Ultimately, in determining our salary ranges, we consider location, experience, skills, and other job-related factors, while balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company.
Authorization to work in the U.S. is required; we do not provide visa sponsorship for this role.
Eclipse Foods is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our customers. We are deeply committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Eclipse applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Eclipse applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make the need for an accommodation known.