Characterization and Data is one of the 4 pillars of our newly formed Innovation Center. The Director of Characterization and Data will be in charge of the newly formed team. They will bring expertise in analytical chemistry, bioinformatics, fungal or microbial physiology, data characterization and data management. They will strongly collaborate with other teams within the Innovation Center to support all of the characterization needs across multiple platforms, from small scale reactors to full size production trays - from substrate, to mycelium to Fine MyceliumTM sheet. This will include analyzing samples representative of our process from start to finish including raw material, mycelium biomass, and Reishi sheets. Additionally, this position will lead the management of data collection, data analysis and data reporting. They will also lead initiatives with external vendors to advance the characterization efforts and identify relevant analytical methods and instruments.
- Build a characterization team and workflows to identify, develop and operationalize evaluation methods to advance the understanding of our Fine MyceliumTM platform
- Strategize what efforts to bring in-house versus using external expertise
- Identify hiring opportunities to bring relevant expertise in-house
- Manage relationship with external entities for method development and execution
- Build data visualization tools to compile both experimental data reports and facility housekeeping reports (environmental monitoring, process health, etc.)
- Summarize complex technical information from different technical groups/vendors into more systematic conclusions informing levers for future experiments.
- Proactively alert to anomalies in characterization results
- Collaborate with a counterpart in Information Technology to advise on data infrastructure and collection needs
- Participate in strain engineering and process improvement strategy by advising on key learnings identified by the characterization process
- PhD in Life Science, Chemical Engineering, or Biology, with at least8 years of experience in the agriculture or biotech industries
- Experience in analytical chemistry and method development is required
- Expertise in fungal or microbial physiology, mycology/microbiology, fermentation, data science and statistics strongly desired, bioinformatics and genome editing experience is preferred
- Experience with developing data collection and management systems in-line with needs of project(s)
- Experience with developing integrated workflows that allow end-to-end traceability and reproducibility of data
- Experience working with cross-functional teams to deliver on goals
- Experience directly managing people
- Thrives in a fast paced environment
- Strategic, collaborative, and proactive mindset
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The targeted base pay for this role is $170,000-$190,000 . The actual pay is dependent on other factors such as training, skills, work experience and business needs. The target pay range is subject to change and may be modified. This role is also eligible for benefits and equity.