About Activate Global
Activate empowers scientists to reinvent our world and address climate change by bringing their research to market. We partner with leading funders and research institutions—including a groundbreaking new partnership with the National Science Foundation—to offer the Activate Fellowship, providing the funding, technical support, networking, community, and time that scientists need at the outset of their entrepreneurial journey.
The results are game changing: Activate Fellows have launched 146 new companies since 2015. These companies have raised more than $1.4B in follow-on funding, created more than 1,800 U.S.-based high-tech jobs, reached scientific breakthroughs, and defined new market categories. Activate supports fellows in Berkeley, CA; Cambridge, MA; New York, NY; Houston, TX; and across the U.S. through Activate Anywhere.
Activate exists to create a better future, for all. In service of this purpose, we are building a foundation of equity and inclusivity across our business, including our operations, our fellowship, our partnerships, and our brand.
Activate is seeking a deeply technical and highly effective investment manager to support its portfolio of hard-tech entrepreneurs. In this role, you will apply technical knowledge, passion for world changing technologies, partnership building, and program management skills to the core investment areas of focus for deep tech.
Reporting to the Senior Investment Manager, the Investment Manager will work closely with Activate’s fellows and its community of global investors to facilitate the financing of early-stage hard-tech companies. You will work with the internal team to assist in management of programs designed to scale the commercialization of science. A successful investment manager would be able to explore, identify, and track investments between the startups and early stage ventures.
To grow venture partnerships and the success of the fundraising fellows:
- Work with the Senior Investment Manager to develop outreach strategies for locating and onboarding deep tech investors
- Orchestrate and implement strategies for funding partners,
- Develop/maintain relationships with strategic funding partners
- Curate visits, quarterly calls, salons, and work with the events team to plan demo days
- Maintain and expand the best-fit deep tech investor database for fellow use
- Collect and update relevant information about fund strategy and performance
- Take inbound calls from investors to assess alignment
- Seek out new investors unfamiliar with Activate’s portfolio and arrange onboardings and visits.
To measure investment impact:
- Develop and organize investment assessment approaches and methodology toward stated program goals
- Coordinate with key stakeholders within and external to the organization to establish the investment measurement approaches and methodology
- Compile and distribute progress against milestones to internal stakeholders
- Assist in the establishment of new, data collection and entry systems for up to date, actionable information on fundraising activities
The Ideal Candidate…
- 3-5 years of combined experience working in a technical field and or technical program management. Investment portfolio programs experience would be a plus
- A technical degree is preferred, preferably a STEM degree in physical sciences or Engineering with a successful academic and professional track record
- Demonstrated experience in program management, with exposure to deep technology solutions
- Proven ability to forge partnerships, collaborations between internal networks and external partners and customers and a track record of achieving results through collaboration and teamwork
- Meticulous attention to detail, analytic ability to draw and document useful insights that can produce actionable results.
- Ability to distill complex technical information and put it in simple words and excellent analytical, writing and presentation skills
- Is passionate about Activate’s mission and its connection to the intersection of science and venture
- Has a demonstrated ability to engage with startup founders and VCs
- Has strong written and presentation skills.
- Is detail-oriented and well organized.
- Has excellent time management skills with a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Is experienced with financial analysis, queries, and reporting.
- Is comfortable with databases and software platforms.
- Is service-oriented and establishes strong rapport.
- Has a strong sense of accountability.
- Has strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Makes data-driven and evidence-based decisions.
- Is comfortable with uncertainty and iteration.
We offer a competitive starting salary base starting at $97,000 a year with a bonus structure, along with a generous benefits package that includes professional development, $2,000 in annual wellness funds, unlimited paid time off, healthcare premiums covered for employees and dependents at 90%, and the opportunity to join a retirement plan with a 3% match beginning after one year of employment.
Physical Characteristics of the Work Environment:
- Office-based work
- Typing and computer usage throughout the day
- Must lift and carry a minimum of 15 lbs
- Moderate travel requirements - up to 15% of the time
Encouraging Applications from All Backgrounds
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Activate Global, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.