At Greener by Default, you will be part of a team of experts working towards the ambitious goal of transforming institutional foodservice - and the food system as a whole - by making plant-based food the default.
We are looking for our first Operations Manager to support our team, to ensure we are set up for success, and working in the most optimal way to deliver on our mission. You will become a valuable member of the team, with the ability to significantly impact our work by managing a range of operational activities. This position will be primarily operations focused, with additional HR responsibilities.
We recognize that the fate of humans, animals, and ecosystems are bound together, and strive to create a food system that will allow all life on earth to flourish. In order to achieve our vision, we develop strategies rooted in science, sustainability, and inclusivity to empower institutions to serve plant-forward food.
As Operations Manager, you will oversee our team’s organizational processes and operations to ensure we are working in the most productive and efficient way, ensuring we are able to provide high quality deliverables. You will help us implement and maintain processes and controls and will become our go-to person to ensure we have everything we need to maximize our impact. You will also oversee several critical functions to ensure our team is supported; including managing our PEO relationship, fulfilling filing requirements, and working with key partners to ensure we remain compliant across all activities.
- Oversee and maintain the suite of systems and tools, ensuring our team are trained and supported to deliver our work efficiently, including Asana, Airtable & Boomerang.
- Manage our calendar of meetings and activities, and ensure actions are tracked and assigned to the relevant team members.
- Oversee and ensure we have applicable policies and procedures for the team to follow. Create and implement staff policies & procedures as necessary.
- Support our team in identifying vendor and contractor needs to support our work and oversee the coordination of any approved support needed.
- Support the Executive team in recommending, selecting and managing a CRM system.
- Managing our PEO partner JustWorks, to support our payroll and benefits processes, including PTO, and ensuring compliance with all regulations.
- Supporting the team to ensure a respectful and inclusive workplace, with processes to address complaints and concerns.
- Ensuring our team completes all necessary and required training and providing additional learning opportunities to support the team’s professional development.
- Maintaining our employee handbook and HR policies and processes, ensuring revisions and updates are made as needed to document our latest policies and to comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Support the Executive Team in the recruitment process, coordinating candidate interviews and follow up.
Legal & Compliance
- Responsible for ensuring our annual filing requirements as a non-profit organization, including annual state charity registrations.
- Ensuring we comply with other state requirements, such as the annual Illinois compliance audit.
- Coordinating any legal queries and needs with external legal partners.
- Ensure we have all applicable insurance policies in place and oversee all renewal processes.
- Support across financial management processes as needed and liaise with our external accounting team to report, track, and monitor expenses.
- Support the budgeting process with our COO.
- Oversee and ensure we have adequate expense and finance policies that are clear for the team to adhere too.
Individual Attributes Required / Why you should join us
We are looking for someone who is engaged in our work and who can contribute towards showcasing our values, ensuring we are an organization that is centered on;
- Intellectual integrity: Use best practices rooted in science, adapt tactics based on the latest research.
- Ambition: Ensure that our team is empowered with the processes necessary to efficiently and boldly drive change within institutional foodservice norms
- Open communication: Continuously seek out new information and dialogue, cultivate trust with staff and partners.
- Foster inclusion: Meet people where they are, strive to understand and acknowledge the different cultural contexts within which you’re working, hold space for divergent perspectives.
- Growth mindset: See challenges and mistakes as opportunities to adapt and improve. Continuously strive to hone your expertise and refine your skills in order to best serve the organization’s and client’s goals.
- 3+ years of experience working in operations
- Commitment to the organization's mission, vision, and strategic plan
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and take initiative
- Strong comprehension of nonprofit regulations and employment laws
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
We prefer candidates who have the following experience:
- Prior experience with:
We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate during the application process and after you join the team. We encourage candidates with most of the above qualifications to apply; we do not expect all candidates to fit this job description 100%.
Ilana Braverman, COO
This is a salaried employee position paying $60,000-69,000 per year, depending on experience and credentials.
- Health, Dental & Vision Plan
- 401k plan, with a dollar for dollar employer match up to 3%
- $150 cell phone and internet expense reimbursement
- $500 annual office equipment stipend (can be rolled over)
- 15 vacation days per year, 14 paid federal holidays, 8 sick days and 1 personal day per year, to be used during your birthday month
In order to apply, please fill out this form. We will not consider any candidates who have not filled out the form. Please do not contact us via email or message to apply. Applications must be received by March 1, 2024.