BIOMILQ is focused on developing technology that utilizes the unique potential of human mammary cells to produce functional human milk components outside of the body. We are R&D-stage, science-led, and diligently working to bring more of the benefits of breast milk to more babies.
We are looking for a Bioprocess Student Associate to join our team this summer in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina! This internship is expected to be around 10-12 weeks, with flexible start and end dates based on the student’s schedule.
About the Position
Responsibilities & Core Areas of Learning
- Responsible for initiating, maintaining, and terminating experiments under guidance from senior personnel.
- Responsible for developing a working knowledge base of specified bioreactor operations, as well as mammary epithelial cell culture in multiple formats.
- Responsible for necessary literature review to generate and evaluate experimental ideas.
- Responsible for analyzing, troubleshooting, and clearly presenting data to team members and general company personnel.
- You will get hands-on experience and knowledge of:
- Mammalian cell culture
- Bioreactor operations
- Analytical techniques for cell culture products
- Data presentation
- Industry vendor protocols
- Lab safety
General Project Description
Day-to-day, you will be working with our Bioprocess Development team to advance our ability to scale the production of our proprietary mammary epithelial cell technology. This will involve working with our cells in multiple culture formats, applying different conditions to test their response, and analyzing changes in their behavior. It will also involve learning to conduct bioreactor operations on a larger, more independent scale. You will also learn how to interpret a wide range of biological data, and how to present that interpretation to a larger group.
Skills & Competencies
- You are able to maintain meticulous record-keeping.
- You are able to work collaboratively with a group of individuals with a broad range of backgrounds.
- You're naturally inclined to think critically and creatively answering questions that don’t have a single, clear-cut answer.
- You hold yourself and others to the utmost ethical standards in all scientific and professional endeavors.
Qualifications & Experience
- Undergraduate junior/senior or graduate student in biological, biomedical, or chemical engineering, or another applicable STEM field
Helpful background knowledge
- Coursework or hands-on experience culturing mammalian cells
- General knowledge of/experience with aseptic techniques
- Coursework or hands-on experience with cell-based manufacturing, cell culture scale-up and/or bioprocess and bioreactor optimization
- Coursework or hands-on experience with common analytical techniques in biological research
- Any form of chromatography
- Cell viability assays
- Western blot
- Familiarity with data analysis/presentation to both scientific and non-scientific audiences
- Benefits and Compensation. We’ll have you with us full-time (40 hours a week for 10-12 weeks) and yes, it’s paid!
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- PTO & Paid Sick Leave
- Socialize with your fellow interns during work hours
- Mentorship with company leaders committed to developing your professional skills