Rebellyous Foods (RF) is an early-stage, plant-based food start-up. As a food production and manufacturing technology company, we are working to substantially increase the volume and lower the price of specific, high-quality plant-based meat products to effectively serve the foodservice and retail grocery markets to replace animal-based meat on a large scale. We achieve this through the design, development, and implementation of new production equipment, methods and systems for enhanced plant-based meat production.
Rebellyous Foods is seeking a conscientious, flexible, and detail-oriented Quality Assurance Food Scientist to support the food safety and quality programs for plant-based meat reporting to the Director of Product Development. We are seeking team members who enjoy making a difference, being a part of a high-performing team, and who take pride in working in a fast-paced, constantly changing startup environment, and who thrive working in an intensive manufacturing work environment. These mission-focused and dedicated individuals will work collaboratively with several departments to strategically grow the company.
Flexibility, hard work, and keen follow through are critical to success for employees in a startup environment. Frequent after hours and weekend work is required. Working at Rebellyous is an extraordinary opportunity to get in on the ground floor with a fast growing, mission-focused start-up and to help build the company.
- Define, implement and maintain a comprehensive quality assurance metrics system for new and current in-use processing of products and processes.
- Execute all duties and responsibilities of facility SQF practitioner, including maintaining records as our CoMan is SQF certified.
- Write food processing guidelines for new and in-use production methods.
- Along with the Food Scientist, serve as the liaison between the Equipment R&D (ER&D) and Product Development (PD) teams to quantify the success of new and current products and production methods and establish the testing of metrics.
- Lead and execute Environmental Monitoring Program, including adjusting programs as needed to optimize for a safe food production environment.
- Supervise implementation of sanitation programs and change as needed for new processes; approve and maintain sanitation logs.
- Administer ATP and APC Swabbing Program, adjust program as work flows change.
- Supervise and implement QA Sensory Evaluation Program.
- Support Supply Chain and Logistics as necessary.
- Assist Product Development and Engineering R&D as needed with benchtop and early stage production by making/cooking/preparing samples, addressing quality control issues and tracking and resolving food production issues.
- Support and grow company safety initiatives.
- Establish and maintain special quality and food safety programs and certifications for the facility, products, and/or production lines.
- Manage and execute special projects as assigned in support of food production or R&D efforts.
- Monitor employee training requirements; create or source additional training material as needed to maintain a safe working environment and optimize for food safety; administer training as needed.
- Keep up-to-date with food safety regulations and ensure that Rebellyous is following all required laws and regulations.
- Analyze numerical, quantitative and qualitative data sets to effectively evaluate success in meeting standards, identify trends and track metrics and report on results in a timely fashion to meet production and research needs.
- Frequently report to larger teams and management on SQF, quality, safety and similar programs overseen in this position.
- Support food science efforts overall including assistance with fundraising, media inquiries, and partnerships as necessary.
- Oversee production at CoMan to ensure high quality of production.
- Review CoMan documentation and reports for each production run
- Prepare RF documentation and reporting pre and post production runs
Qualifications: Candidates should have the following credentials:
- Bachelor of Science degree in food science, microbiology, chemistry, or similar degree is required. Graduate degrees or continuing education are highly preferred.
- Two or more years experience in the food industry, preferably in food manufacturing.
- SQF practitioner experience or training highly desired.
- Experience in oversight of all food safety programs, sanitation, environmental monitoring, quality assurance.
- FSMA FSPCA or HACCP certified.
- Superior data and informational analytical skills required Coursework in numerical analysis highly preferred.
- Enjoys working with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Exemplary leadership skills.
- Compassionate people-management skills at all levels.
- Commitment to safety and supporting company safety initiatives.
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to excellence.
- Experience in a start-up environment is highly desirable.
- Mission focused. Our company works to end factory farming.
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal.
- Flexible and willing to take on any tasks to support team efforts.
- Good research skills and highly organized.
- Must operate with a sense of urgency and attention to detail.
- Capable of making decisions independently and exercising excellent judgment.
- Handles confidential information with discretion.
- Strong work ethic, integrity and personal accountability.
- Proficiency in G-Suite applications as well as MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to obtain a WA state food worker card.
- Must have a valid WA State driver’s license.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: All positions regularly require long hours and can require weekend or after-hours work.
Highly Desirable Characteristics
- Interest in the plant-based meat industry
- Experience in the food industry
Physical Demands: Ability to stand for long periods of time, stoop, kneel, and reach regularly. Ability to lift, push, pull up to 35 pounds.
Location: Greater Seattle area. This position is located at our headquarters in West Seattle, WA.
How to apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your skill set, experience, and interest in working at Rebellyous to firstname.lastname@example.org.