We’re looking to hire a talented, self-motivated undergraduate student for a full-time summer internship that will support the Quality team to deliver key critical food safety objectives. The intern will be responsible for projects to enhance the Quality & Food Safety Systems within the company. Both projects will provide exposure to the food manufacturing business, working with cross functional departments, and gaining insight into core food safety measures within the business. The intern will also be introduced to HACCP, Supplier Management, and day to day production activities. This position is located at our Bakersfield, CA manufacturing facility.Learning Outcomes
By the end of the internship, you will
- Have a solid understanding of Food Safety and Quality Parameters within a food manufacturing business.
- Have a thorough understanding of raw ingredients and risk levels
- Understand control points for managing raw ingredient hazards
- Learning communication tools to interact with cross functional departments and suppliers
- Know how to use online tools to assess food safety risks within the food manufacturing business
- Learn to work with a cross functional team to drive partnerships and alignment
- Confidently present recommendations in team settings
Raw ingredient food safety analysisCross Functional Departments
Quality, Regulatory, R&D, Contract Manufacturing OperationsKey Responsibilities
Deep dive into specific raw ingredients to assess food safety risks, food safety controls/testing and supplier process discussions.Project 2
Updates to Sensory Program and ScorecardsCross Functional Departments
R&D, Operations, MarketingKey Responsibilities
- Establish new pictures and visuals for all sensory scorecards. Update taste profiles as needed.
- Obtain signoff and acceptance by QA and R&D
- Data Review for sensory results to see what SKUs contribute to sensory holds or rework.
Document Control, Document Reviews, System Data Deep Dives and Data AnalysisOther Responsibilities And Opportunities
- Partner with cross functional departments to learn Food Safety Plans, consumer complaints and regulatory claim information
- Partner with our in-house Regulatory Specialist to learn about supplier document reviews and approvals
- Review consumer complaint data and identify trends
- Spend time on the production floor learning about Quality and Food Safety parameters
- Be part of the Internal Audit team and shadow auditors during in house audits
- Be a part of the Califia HACCP team to learn Food Safety fundamentals
The ideal candidate is independently driven, can work with a cross functional team, and has a keen interest in quality for a values-driven organization and possesses a basic knowledge of quality/food safety principles through coursework or prior work experience.
- Candidates are typically pursuing a bachelor’s degree in a Science related field.
- Excellent attention to details with strong organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task with excellent follow through and task completion
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong team player, ability to work with diverse cross-functional teams.
- Problem solver, able to work independently to produce quality results.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.