This position is responsible for the plant implementation of Food Safety Programs including, HACCP, and GFSI compliance, and sensory leadership. This position provides direct supervisory oversight of Supplier Quality Specialist, Sensory and QA Raw Materials staffing. This individual works closely with members of Plant Management, Food Safety and Sensory, Regulatory Affairs, Operations, R&D, Culinary, and Sourcing and leads the Food Safety/ Team. This position is designated as the SQF Practitioner. This position is also designated as Deputy to the Quality Manager. In this individual’s absence, the Quality Manager will assume responsibilities.Essential Duties And Responsibilities
Qualifications And Skills
- Responsible to contribute to the success of validation programs: for new equipment commissioning, cleaning validation, extended runs, preventive controls validation, process validation, and shelf-life studies, Responsible for supervising the QA Raw Materials staff and communications, as well as resolutions to Raw Materials issues.
- Identify, report, and investigate out-of-spec materials, WIPS, and operating conditions to the appropriate managers. Collaborate with others using sensory abilities to remedy problems
- Responsible for hold and release process for out-of-specification materials for food safety or sensory issues.
- Responsible for reviewing and approving non-conformance reports and investigations submitted by supplier(s)
- Responsible for Quality, Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP), and Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) policy and procedure reviews of the food safety and sensory system.
- Lead the facility’s Food Safety Team and implements non-conformity management with follow-up of food safety CAPAs.
- Assist and/or lead third-party and internal audits and regulatory inspections
- Oversee the evaluation of the appearance, odor, flavor, and texture of ingredients and meals during and after the production process.
- Support of various plant staff on sensory standards, new products, and sensory evaluation techniques.
- Participate in the daily tasting; identify differences from expectations/standards.
- Monitors trends in sensory attributes to help prevent any product “drift” from established standards and alerts Enterprise Food Safety and Sensory if any are observed.
- Responsible for any other reasonable actions as determined by leadership.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree in Food Science and Technology or a degree in a related Life
Science from four-year College or University, or equivalent combination of
experience and education.Experience
- One or more years of relevant industry experience.
- One or more years of supervisory experience.
- Detail oriented
- Works well with others
- Intermediate computer skills
- Valid US Driver’s License
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Change and Learning Agility
- Conflict Management/ Composure
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Leader Identification
- Mission Focus
- Relationship Building
- Results Orientation
- Team Management
- Talent Development
- Written and Informal Communication
- Technology Savvy
- Functional/Technical Expertise
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
SQF, PCQI, HACCP, FDQI and Better Process Control School Certification or
willingness to gain any/all certifications as required.
Training in Continuous Improvement and Lean Manufacturing is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and
talk and listen. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms;
and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25
pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While
performing some duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid
conditions, cold (coolers and freezers) and hot (processing equipment) conditions and moving
mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment can be loud in manufacturing areas.
Estimated travel requirement is approximately 5% - 10%.
Santa Rosa, CA compensation range: