At Corbion, we exist to champion preservation in all its forms, preserving food and food production, health, and our planet.
Corbion’s Algae Ingredients business is based in South San Francisco and leads the industry in developing new applications and markets for algae-based products. We have a range of sustainably produced algae products that deliver breakthrough innovations for human and animal nutrition.
An opportunity is available to play a leadership role in the Downstream Processing group. This position will be responsible for building and directing the downstream process development team and supporting the technology transfer of key recovery processes to our manufacturing facilities. The successful candidate will serve as a corporate subject matter expert and liaison with both internal collaborators and external partners. This individual must demonstrate a high degree of flexibility, creativity, and initiative in performing the various duties associated with the position.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and commitment to safety, quality, and accountability.
- Manage and mentor a team of 2 - 5 scientists, engineers and/or research associates.
- Work within a team framework with both individual responsibility and proactive support of other colleagues. Interacts closely with Pilot Plant, R&D, Facilities and Manufacturing Groups for routine planning and coordination.
- Serve as technical lead on internal projects and/or in joint development agreements with external partners. Represent Downstream Processing (DSP) on cross-functional teams.
- Develop scalable processes for the recovery of products of interest from microbial fermentation broth. Set and execute strategies for continuous improvement of performance metrics (yield, cost, etc.) for commercial production and creation of IP.
- Establish and implement scale-down models to support process development and optimization, as well as trouble-shooting of operations at manufacturing scale.
- Hands-on role in the design, implementation, and operation of bench- and pilot-scale experiments with unit operations including cell lysis, drying, particle size reduction, extraction, filtration, centrifugation, mixing, chemical modification, oil processing, crystallization, etc.
- Utilize theoretical unit operation principles to support experimental design. Perform mass and energy balances to characterize select unit operations or processes.
- Develop analytical methods required for process monitoring and product characterization; hands-on skills with instrumental analysis and wet chemistry.
- Critically evaluate, procure, and implement new technologies for the development of new processes and generation of samples for characterization and application development.
- Transfer technology and knowledge to commercial operations.
- Plan and coordinate external development projects with contract labs and vendors as needed.
- Maintain accurate documentation in laboratory notebook and/or batch records. Interpret and present experimental data to provide guidance for projects and process development.
- Author or review technical reports, SOPs, invention disclosures and relevant sections of regulatory submissions.
- Ensure compliance of Corbion’s knowledge management policy by team members.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Bioprocess Engineering, or related field.
- 10+ years relevant industrial experience with demonstrated ability to manage, mentor and develop junior team members.
- Experience in development and scale-up/down of recovery processes from lab to pilot to production scale with particular focus on cell lysis, drying, filtration, centrifugation, extraction, mixing, and oil processing.
- Experience with application of theoretical unit operation principles to support scale-up/down and technology transfer.
- Experience in conceptual process design and techno-economic assessments preferred.
- Experience in operating and maintaining lab and pilot-scale process equipment.
- Experience in analyzing biological materials using common analytical chemistry and wet chemistry methods, as well as developing and running physical chemistry/process characterization methods.
- Skillful in problem-solving and trouble-shooting data, equipment, and procedures at various process scales.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and priority-changing environment without sacrificing accuracy, quality of work, and safety.
- Ability to work both independently and as a key teammate within an interdisciplinary team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to effectively convey scientific concepts and results to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Self-starter who thinks with the end in mind and can successfully move projects to completion.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, and Visio and ability to learn other computer software as necessary.
- Knowledge of Statistical Design of Experiments and Statistics preferred.
- Occasional travel required (approx. 5 - 10%).
The below range reflects the range of possible compensation for this role at the time of this posting. This range may be modified in the future. An employee’s title and position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, seniority, performance, and business or organizational needs. The base salary range for this role is $160,000 to $200,000.
Corbion is the global market leader in lactic acid and its derivatives, and a leading supplier of emulsifiers, functional enzyme blends, minerals, vitamins, and algae ingredients. We use our unique expertise in fermentation and other processes to deliver sustainable solutions for the preservation of food and food production, health, and our planet. For over 100 years, we have been uncompromising in our commitment to safety, quality, innovation and performance. Drawing on our deep application and product knowledge, we work side-by-side with customers to make our cutting-edge technologies work for them. Our solutions help differentiate products in markets such as food, home & personal care, animal nutrition, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and bioplastics. In 2022, Corbion generated annual sales of € 1,457.9 million and has a workforce of over 2601 employees. Corbion is listed on Euronext Amsterdam. For more information: www.corbion.com
Corbion is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
Corbion provides reasonable accommodation to applicants.
Corbion does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third party recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers. All candidates must be submitted by approved Corbion vendors who have been expressly requested to make a submission by our Talent Acquisition team for a specific job opening. No placement fees will be paid to any firm unless such a request has been made by the Corbion Talent Acquisition team and such candidate was submitted to the Corbion Talent Acquisition Team.