Aqua Cultured Foods is an innovative food technology company disrupting the alternative protein space with the world’s first whole-muscle cut seafood alternatives created through the process of microbial fermentation. Our novel technology produces a sustainable complete protein source using only a fraction of the resources required by traditional agriculture. As our global challenges with overfishing, climate change and feeding the world’s expanding population grows, our mission is to create delicious, nutrient-rich foods to feed our growing population and protect our oceans. Join our team and your contributions will make an impactful difference.
We’re looking for a passionate, driven and ambitious Senior Food Scientist to join our team.
The successful candidate will be an engaged thought leader to drive food science and technology activities for end-to-end development, bringing new food products from bench-scale to commercial markets. The selected individual will serve as the resident technical expert of new and emerging food science technologies to deliver on the food texture, taste and scalability, and will possess deep knowledge of food processing technologies required for alternative meats. The candidate will create, develop and drive alternative seafood products from concept through commercialization, and help identify new and emerging methods of food processing and texturizing techniques that can be applied into alternative protein-based foods. The applicant will be an accomplished scientist with technical acumen to drive research projects from ideation to the finish line.
This is a high impact position within a fast-paced and growing company. Individuals with hands-on experience and ability to drive research projects from ideation-to-commercialization are encouraged to apply.
Previous track record of successfully developing and commercializing new products in the alternative protein space is a plus.
- Lead and drive all aspects of formulation and product development, starting from benchtop to pilot scale, and to full-scale commercialization. Including conducting hands-on, day-to-day new product development, application, and food process development activities.
- Manage innovation activities and completion of projects within agreed upon timelines.
- Design and conduct experiments to test the functionality and performance of AQUA’s technology in the most appropriate product model systems, and apply insights to new product application work.
- Provide data-driven insights to solve technical challenges and resolve issues in product formulation, concept prototypes, manufacturing and quality and compiles technical documentation.
- Train and coach the food science and application team.
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations, trainings, and product showings to internal and external customers/contacts.
- Provide accurate, clear and concise reports on development activities.
- Prepare project proposals, conduct bench-top and pilot plant trial work and analyze and summarize scientific outcomes.
- Help coordinate cross-functional collaboration with manufacturing, quality, regulatory and sales.
- Conduct prior art searches and capture scientific insights for future product discovery to support the continued creation of AQUA’s intellectual property.
- Remain abreast of new/competitive technologies as they emerge, and determine their application and/or impact for AQUA’s technology.
- Collaborate with culinary/product design centers as needed to successfully develop finished product concepts to demonstrate the functionality AQUA ingredients, and support customer demos and investor meetings.
- Masters in Food Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Food Science, Proteins, Bioengineering or equivalent; PhD is preferred
- Strong background and experience in product application work
- 5-7 years of industry experience in processing, developing and scaling up of ingredient and packaged food products
- Excellent communication skills and statistical methods that are applied in design of experiments
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and project management skills
- Comfortable working in a start-up environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and influence technical direction
Selected candidate will work on-site with our team in the Chicago Office. Remote work is not available for this role.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including paid time off, healthcare (medical, visions and dental) and 401K with company match.
Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
At Aqua Cultured Foods, we are committed to building a diverse, respectful, and inclusive workforce. We take being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer seriously and do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act), or any other applicable characteristics protected by law.