Serving as a key member of the leadership team, the Director of Manufacturing & Operations will own management of supply chain, production, quality, maintenance, safety, and innovation for 12 Tides. This is an executive level position, assisting the Co-Founders in setting strategic priorities and company budgets. This role will be responsible for scaling manufacturing to support nationwide retail expansion while identifying strategic opportunities to reduce overall costs. The director will work closely with the Co-Founders to oversee supply chain logistics, ingredient sourcing, certifications, packaging updates and other operational projects that come up in a startup environment. The ideal candidate will be excited to tackle new challenges and highly motivated to grow with our rapidly expanding team!
This position is on-site at our manufacturing facility in San Francisco, CA.
- Oversee day-to-day manufacturing operations in a fast-paced, hands-on kitchen facility and manage a diverse team of ~20 production employees
- Assess manufacturing operations to identify areas for improvement to maximize efficiencies, including maintenance and acquisition of equipment needed to support rapid sales expansion
- Identify cost saving opportunities to reduce operating and labor expenses
- Work with Production Manager to staff and train production team, ensuring highest levels of performance are met
- Work with Innovation Lead to ensure impeccable product quality and identify areas of improvement
- Manage packaging suppliers to oversee the launch of new packaging formats and lead the development and transition to home compostable packaging
- Work with safety consultants to ensure regulatory compliance, facilitate employee safety trainings, equipment safety monitoring and proper documentation of safety issues in order to ensure a safe work environment at all times
- Work with Operations Manager to manage external logistics and supply chain partners, source ingredients and manage inventory to ensure timely fulfillment of PO’s and avoid OOS
- Work with Co-Founders to establish broader company strategy and strategic growth plan
Who You Are
- A passion for 12 Tides’ mission to produce ocean-friendly foods and restore marine ecosystems
- 5+ years of experience overseeing manufacturing operations, preferably in CPG
- A solutions-oriented thought leader able to identify areas of improvement, problem-solve and implement new processes
- Experience with high-speed manufacturing equipment
- Experience with OSHA regulations, certifications
- A desire to join a small, but quickly growing team
- Authorized to work in the US
- Spanish language skills a plus
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive salary starting at $125,000 - $150,000 plus annual bonuses based on experience
- Relocation stipend up to $5,000
- Stock options
- Generous PTO and holidays
- Paid sick time
- Health coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- Start date: ASAP
About 12 Tides
12 Tides is a fast-moving startup on a mission to transform our food system into a force for good for our oceans, starting with our tasty organic kelp snacks. We source organic kelp from regenerative ocean farms in the US to incorporate it into better-for-you, ocean-friendly foods in our own manufacturing space in San Francisco, CA. 12 Tides is a Certified B Corp and contributes 1% of sales to support kelp forest restoration with our non-profit partner SeaTrees. We also package our snacks in compostable pouches, to help lead the food industry away from petroleum-based plastic packaging. Together we are turning the tide on climate change, one kelp chip at a time.
Commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
12 Tides provides Equal Employment Opportunities and will review all applications without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic information, disability, marital status, military status or any other consideration protected by federal, state or local laws.