We’re looking for a product developer to help us create a more sustainable food system. You want to solve problems at the intersection of product and process development and microbiology. You will develop new formulations and solve scaleup problems to help us make aged cheeses that taste better and cost less than commodity dairy cheese. And most importantly, you share our values. This position is based in Oakland, CA and offers competitive salary and equity.
Our food system represents a whopping 34% of global carbon emissions and is the primary driver of species extinction and deforestation. Within food, the biggest single problem is cows. Cows outweigh humans 🤯 and account for over 10% of carbon emissions. Dairy alone produces more carbon than all of aviation.
But the problem is that cows and their milk taste really good, and no amount of guilt will ever stop us from devouring them. The only solution is to create sustainable products that are better than cows on two factors: taste and cost.
Tezza is a public benefit corporation that discovers and designs microbial communities that transform inexpensive, sustainable plants into new categories of fermented foods. This approach allows us to create plant-based products that are absurdly delicious and cheaper than their animal-based counterparts. We are starting with the most resource intensive and addictive dairy product: 🧀.
About the position
You will be working with us to build a more sustainable food system. Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Execute bench and pilot plant scale experiments to improve flavor, texture, and cost
- Develop finishing processes such as slicing, shredding, and packaging
- Extend shelf life and solve scale up challenges
- Conduct QC and sensory testing
- Identify and validate suppliers
- Develop product specifications
- Build a company where mission and money meet
- This position is full time and not remote
- BS / MS in Food Science or a related field
- 3 - 8 years of industry food product development experience
- Experience with bench scale formulation development and scale up to manufacturing
- Strong organizational skills and a history of defining problems, finding solutions, and producing order in highly dynamic environments.
- A deeply held conviction in our mission and values
- A love and joy in documentation and effective communication
- Ability to perform simultaneously physically and mentally demanding work
What do you get out of it?
- You’ll work on global sustainability problems via a hands-on, tasty product
- You'll get to wear many hats and learn what it takes to build an early-stage startup in sustainability and biotechnology
- An opportunity to have a systemic impact on the food system
- A chance to build the kind of place where you’d like to work
If interested, what should you do?
First, learn about our values, culture, hiring process, and benefits here.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and responses to the following prompts (a conversational, unpolished tone is fine):
- What motivates you right now? What about for the long term? And most importantly, why?
- What are the most important things that you are striving to improve in yourself? What are you doing to work on them?
Tezza is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. But we acknowledge that we are flawed humans within a flawed society. We do our best and apologize and learn when that’s not enough.