At New School Foods, our mission is to accelerate the transition to a kinder, healthier, alt-protein-first food system. Using our proprietary production technology, we create zero-compromise meat alternatives designed to enable global impact. Our healthy, whole-cut, plant-based filets are made to look, cook, taste and flake just like fish. All with a lower carbon footprint, and zero harm to the ocean.ABOUT THE ROLE:
The candidate will be a resident expert in state-of-the-art reaction chemistry, process technology, analytical methods and data analysis for flavor and aroma research. The Scientist will use their excellent problem solving and analytical skills to develop impactful research insights and meaningfully contribute to new product development.
In this role, you will develop and modify new flavors for our plant-based meat. Successful individuals will be self-motivated, organized, and adaptable. A successful candidate has a depth of knowledge in developing methods towards the characterization of flavor precursors, reaction intermediates and flavor volatiles. They will have a demonstrated ability to work under rapidly changing priorities through initial discovery, product characterization, and production scale-up as the needs of the product development team change.
The candidate will also have working knowledge of the characterization techniques of edible oils. A knowledge of green chemistry is a plus.AS A FOOD & FLAVOR REACTION SCIENTIST, YOU WILL:
YOU WILL BRING:
- Conduct discovery phase research and quantitative analysis in flavor and aroma, including olfactometry analysis, sensory analysis, using diverse instrumental techniques as applied to complex meat and food matrices
- Develop analytical methods for isolation, detection, identification, and quantification of flavor/aroma molecules, and interpretation of complex datasets
- Characterize and quantify food ingredients such as proteins, fats, flavorants, colorants, nutrients, and hydrocolloids by developing unique analytical methods
- Characterize and further understand natural chemical composition of animal products.
- Translate research results and develop strategies that enhance the organoleptic properties and cooking dynamics of meat analogs, and to improve physical stability, exudation, and visual appearance of oils in products
- Collaborate closely with food scientists to characterize product composition, stability and breakdown, and build a strong knowledge base and repository of food ingredients
- Develop new formulations and prototypes on the bench, conduct pilot and commercial scale trials, establish data and make a technical case for product feasibility
- Deploy mass spectrometry approaches to support synthetic biology, reaction chemistry and material science efforts.
- Supervise and mentor earlier-stage personnel in team operations including instrumental operation, reporting and method validation/qualification, investigating deviations and unexpected results
- Provide written and verbal reports of research activities. Participate in R&D and larger company meetings.
- Assist in writing patents
- Maintain a safe and orderly laboratory and ensure compliance with all safety policies and practices
- Provide general laboratory support, purchase equipment, and supplies, and share in kitchen and laboratory maintenance. Ensure analytical equipment is maintained in good working order; troubleshoot and perform minor repairs as needed; oversee a preventative maintenance program
- Ph.D. in Chemistry or related discipline with over 8 years of analytical chemistry experience in flavor/aroma research
- Experience in analytical method development and optimization for the identification and quantification of volatile and non-volatile chemicals
- Experience in flavor & fragrance/ food ingredient / food product development / CPG company
- Experience with flavor/aroma descriptive training and olfactometry analysis
- Experience with flavor/aroma in the context of product development
- Prior experience with fats and oils functionality, analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, reaction chemistry, and product applications preferred
- Understanding of food product chemistry, analytical testing, formulation and processes used in food manufacturing
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Chemistry and separations know-how, experience with natural products isolation
- Documented experience in characterization of complex chemical molecules.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and multi-tasking skills, as well as the ability to interact and collaborate successfully with all levels and functional areas
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Fluent in English, both written and spoken
- Exhibit strong technical skills and the ability to critically evaluate raw data and results without supervision
- Experience handling GC-MS, LC-MS, NMR, IR or similar analytical instrumentation.
- Extensive experience with HPLC/UPLC-MS and GC/MS with various sampling techniques is preferred (headspace, SPME, dynamic headspace), including with high resolution triple quad MS/MS systems
- Experience in the operation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and calibration of laboratory equipment
- Experience in the identification and characterization of specific molecules in complex chemical mixtures.
- Experience with statistical software and theory
- Proven ability to combine scientific insight with strong technical skills and business acumen
- Strong analytical, organizational, and record-keeping skills.
New School Foods offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, paid time off, and more. This position is for our Toronto, Canada location. Support in securing a work visa is available for international candidates selected for the role and willing to relocate to Canada.