About the Organization
ClimateWorks Foundation is a global organization committed to our mission: to end the climate crisis by amplifying the power of philanthropy. Since our founding in 2008, we have awarded over $1.3 billion in grants to more than 600 organizations advancing climate solutions around the world. We helped grow the field of climate philanthropy to where it stands today, establishing infrastructure, global networks, and momentum for continued growth. Through our Global Programs and Services, we equip philanthropy with global knowledge, networks, and solutions to drive climate progress.
- Scaling solutions: Our collaborative Global Programs — focused on solution areas including carbon dioxide removal, cooling, industry, transportation, and more — produce results that are bending the greenhouse gas emissions curve. From the U.S. to Europe, China, Brazil, and beyond, we collaborate with a diverse community of funders, NGOs, and climate leaders to accelerate just and equitable climate solutions.
- Guiding and supporting funders: Our Global Services provide funders with comprehensive resources to assess, build, evolve, and execute high-impact climate-giving strategies. Our Global Intelligence service equips funders and the climate community with climate insights to pinpoint opportunities for impact and philanthropic insights to help identify investment priorities. We facilitate Global Collaborations that enable funders to increase individual and collective impact. Our Global Grantmaking services enable funders to invest in climate solutions around the world.
- Fostering collaboration, exploration, and growth: Our collaborative approach and commitment to learning ensures that we continuously explore innovative ideas and emerging opportunities — all with the aim of scaling philanthropy-supported initiatives to help end the climate crisis.
As experts in climate science, public policy, economic and social analysis, and strategic philanthropy, ClimateWorks’ staff understands the multi-faceted challenges and opportunities of climate change. We are researchers, strategists, collaborators, and grantmakers who care passionately about our mission. For more information, please visit www.climateworks.org.
ClimateWorks’ HR Department is responsible for providing quality HR services that support our employees and promote a healthy organizational culture. Our goal is to ensure that we have the type of HR programs, policies, processes, and practices in place that will aid us in attracting, developing, and retaining a high caliber workforce and maintaining a healthy and robust organizational culture.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Associate Director of Human Resources to join our team here at ClimateWorks Foundation. The ideal candidate will have a comprehensive understanding of HR processes and protocols and will be passionate about leveraging their expertise to support the HR department. The Associate Director will have both strategic and administrative responsibilities, helping the team plan and manage important functions in HR / Payroll Administration, Recruitment, and Training & Development. This position will provide management, guidance and support to the HR Specialist and the Recruitment Specialist.
The Associate Director will play an important part in building a strong employer brand for ClimateWorks Foundation and will support our efforts in attracting, developing, and retaining a qualified and diverse workforce.
HR / Payroll Management
- Oversees all activities relating to the administration and maintenance of payroll processing, HR Administration, and 401k administration.
- Manages the relationship with our global PEO. This role will be the point person for all international contracts and will be responsible for the management and accurate processing of all international hires and contracts.
- Manages the relationship with our immigration attorney, oversees the visa application process, including the Monitoring of immigration petitions.
- Develops, prepares, generates, and analyzes ongoing and ad-hoc employee personnel reports, including staffing levels, turnover, compensation, promotions, etc. Effectively utilizes the HRIS to obtain, store and analyze pertinent data and information.
- Supports the Senior Director, HR in the administration of other HR functions as directed, including compensation administration, performance management, and employee relations.
- Maintains and expands knowledge and understanding of existing and proposed federal state, and local laws/regulations affecting human resource management.
- Oversees the talent acquisition process, which may include recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of qualified job applicants,
- Works closely with hiring managers and the Recruitment Specialist in the development of the recruitment strategy, particularly for managerial and senior level roles.
- In collaboration with the Recruitment Specialist works with the hiring managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings. Identifies and implements efficient and effective recruiting methods and strategies based on the position criteria, organizational needs, and DEI standards (includes job postings, sourcing of passive candidates, and working with external search firms).
- Responsible for recruitment KPIs, such as time to hire, source of hire and time to fill.
- Oversees the salary negotiation process.
Training & Development
- Works with Senior HR Director and supervisors in evaluating individual and organizational professional developmental needs.
- Creates and executes training strategies and programs to address staff and supervisor developmental needs for a hybrid work environment.
- Implements organization wide learning methods (e.g., coaching, job-shadowing, online training).
- Assesses the success of professional development plans and help employees make the most of learning opportunities.
- Manages the HR Specialist and Recruitment Specialist.
- Acts as coach and mentor to direct reports and provides timely and constructive feedback.
- Responsible for the performance management and professional development of direct reports.
- 10+ years of experience working as a Generalist with at least 2 to 3 years of experience managing a team.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing the payroll and recruitment functions.
- Prior experience managing the relationship with an international PEO.
- Prior experience with training and development.
- Ability to develop and manage interpersonal relationships at all levels of the organization. High degree of service orientation.
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative.
- Familiarity with laws, regulations, and best practices applicable to hiring and recruitment.
- Proficient with or the ability to quickly learn applicant-tracking software or other recruitment systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or related or PHR or SPHR certification a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Capacity to apply discretion and maintain a high level of confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently (both virtually and in-person) with minimal supervision.
- A commitment to a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. The salary range for this position is $120K to $140K.
ClimateWorks Foundation is based in the San Francisco Financial District. This is an SF-Based position.
Commitment to Racial and Social Justice
At ClimateWorks Foundation, we are driven by our vision of creating a thriving planet for all living beings for generations to come. We aim to foster an inclusive workplace that values diverse lived experiences and emphasizes the voices of marginalized people — especially Black, Indigenous, and People of Color — who are most vulnerable to climate impacts, and whose voices, ideas, and leadership are crucial to winning the climate fight.
To ensure that we are making meaningful progress, we have made a set of diversity, equity, and inclusion commitments across all dimensions of our work to further our mission and realize our vision. For more information, please visit: Fostering Racial and Social Justice in Pursuit of our Mission
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at ClimateWorks Foundation and as such we are committed to creating a diverse and multi-cultural work environment. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race (including traits historically associated with race), ethnicity, religion, color, sex (including childbirth, breast feeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, age, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment.
ClimateWorks Foundation is committed to complying with all laws protecting qualified individuals with disabilities, as well as employees’ religious beliefs and practices. This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment. ClimateWorks Foundation will provide a reasonable accommodation for any known physical or mental disability of a qualified individual and/or employees’ religious beliefs and practices, as required by law.
If you require an accommodation, please notify Human Resources. Once ClimateWorks Foundation is aware of the need for an accommodation, it will engage in an interactive process to identify possible accommodations.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter. This position will remain open until filled.
Employment at the ClimateWorks Foundation is at-will.