About Madre Brava
Madre Brava is a start-up advocacy organization dedicated to creating brave, science-based strategies and campaigns for food, farm and forest. Our goal is to achieve 100% sustainable, healthy, affordable food for all.
We envision a future in which companies, governments, and financiers support food that is healthy for humans, animals, and the planet. This includes addressing the outsized role of livestock production in global emissions and the transition to more sustainable proteins.
We are guided by an organizational ethos of bravery, innovation, and the need for disruption in food systems as well as a deep commitment to collaboration.
For more information, visit madrebrava.org
Madre Brava seeks a full-time Chief Operations Officer (COO) to support the management and sustainable development of the organization at an exciting moment of growth. This is a superb opportunity to help build out a leading organization at the frontier of climate change solutions and food system transformation.
The COO will be an integral part of a quickly growing team working to achieve a ‘protein transition’ away from industrial livestock towards sustainable and alternative proteins. The COO will work closely with the Leadership Team to assess the needs of the growing organization and develop both internal management practices and sustainable growth strategies unique to the geographically dispersed team of Madre Brava.
The COO should be aligned with the values of Madre Brava, including collaboration, movement generosity, and open and honest communication. The COO should also be comfortable working autonomously to lead a coherent vision for internal operations and organizational growth, in consultation with the leadership team.
Term: One year contract with the intention to extend.
Location: Remote while maintaining Mountain or Eastern time zone working hours, preference for candidates based in the US, UK, or Mainland Europe
Salary: $115-$125k, commensurate with experience
1. Financial oversight
- Oversee finance and administrative operations of Madre Brava, in collaboration with finance and admin staff.
- Manage finance and admin contractors or staff to deliver materials needed for financial and administrative health of the organization.
- Provide monthly updates to the leadership team on the financial status of the organization.
- Lead all processes needed to ensure timely and stellar grant reporting.
- As Madre Brava grows, determine the additional administrative and financial capacity needed.
- Ensure legal and financial requirements of the organization.
2. People management
- Lead staffing and recruitment processes, in consultation with the leadership team and relevant country directors.
- Develop and oversee performance management, including creation of a performance review system and execution with all staff.
- Oversee staff meetings and advise on internal meeting structure and cadence.
- Onboard new staff. Develop and oversee onboarding protocols and plans for all staff.
3. Organizational culture and health
- Develop new and expanded internal policies and procedures in line with Madre Brava’s values to ensure sustainable growth of the organization.
- Advance the employee handbook to reflect the policies and procedures of a high performing organization.
- Ensure coherence in staff experiences across all countries in which Madre Brava operates.
- Input into growth and management strategy of the organization, particularly related to managing presence across five countries.
4. Organizational growth and strategy
- Lead the process for Madre Brava to obtain 501c3 nonprofit status.
- Spearhead a 5-year planning process to improve the vision and direction of Madre Brava, covering both programmatic areas of work and organizational design.
- Collaborate with the leadership team to determine future organizational structure and hiring priorities.
- Demonstrated success at scaling start-up enterprises with a global reach
- Familiarity with legal formation and financial requirements for establishment of a non-profit organization.
- Commitment to Madre Brava’s mission, and a passion for food system transformation.
- Self-starter comfortable working independently in start-up environments and navigating agile operations.
- Experience developing and implementing internal processes and protocols.
- Values-driven and dedicated to incorporating equity, transparency, and non-hierarchical approaches into organizational best practices.
- Financial literacy regarding budgets, forecasting, and organizational management
- Highly organized with the ability to plan across thematic areas, geographies, and timelines.
Submit your resume and completed application questions. The application deadline is Monday, November 6, 2023. This search is being led by NRG Consulting Group. Please reach out to email@example.com for more info.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Madre Brava offers equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or marital status. We are committed to a diverse and culturally inclusive workplace.