Wild Microbes is a synthetic biology startup building a new future for biological manufacturing. We have some wild ideas. Our focus in on developing the next generation of microbial hosts that allow everything from small molecules to lipids to proteins to be made productively with biology. We are helping to spur a transition away from petrochemicals and toward a future in which foods, chemicals, and materials are produced as a part of a circular, biologically based supply chain. To help usher in this new world, we are developing the next generation of microbial hosts that will undergird the transition to alternative fermentation processes and novel production paradigms. This next generation of microbial hosts will not look like the last generation – its ranks will be replete with wild strains. We do all of this by leveraging a deep expertise in strain domestication, high-throughput screening and assay development, and cutting-edge microbial engineering technologies.
This search is for an operational position within the technical team, supporting and directing day-to-day logistics. You will establish new systems and procedures for efficient laboratory operations including materials sourcing, stock management, receiving, equipment oversight, resource sharing, facilities liaison, and safety. At the same time, you will have direct exposure to technical teams working on everything from developing new genetic tools and screening for promising new hosts to engineering top candidates and scaling manufacturing processes. This is an opportunity to guide laboratory operations at a fast-paced startup, and in the process to gain exposure across scientific functions and to take ownership of challenging and impactful work.
- Support day-to-day operational needs including sourcing or prep of common medias, reagents, buffers, glassware, and more.
- Interface with vendors to negotiate pricing, procure supplies and equipment, and ensure steady supply.
- Ensure that equipment is functioning properly, coordinating necessary repairs and running regular diagnostic testing.
- Coordinate the storage and organization of laboratory samples, reagents and supplies.
- Develop and manage digital inventories in LIMS system
- As the company grows, help to build out and manage an operational team.
- BA/BS in a scientific discipline, with preference toward a relevant field, including microbiology, molecular biology, bioengineering or similar.
- Able to work full-time in the United States
- 2+ years experience in a laboratory operations role
- Domain knowledge of microbiology and/or microbial-focused synthetic biology
Why you’re a good fit
- Structured, systematic approach to laboratory operations
- Desire to grow into an operational role within a scientific team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
- Eager to work with a growing team to change the face of biomanufacturing