R & D FOOD SCIENTIST
KITE HILL – HAYWARD, CA
Plant-based foods have the power to change lives — hrcultures too. Challenging the norm is our vibe, and it is the start of a larger movement. Kite Hill's chef-founders and employee-artisans are this movement. We craft 100% plant-based foods that deliver an eating experience that is as close to dairy as it gets. Our innovative range of foods enables the team at Kite Hill to surprise and delight our consumers each and every day. We believe that by choosing to eat plant-based foods instead of dairy, we are making a positive choice for our bodies and the world around us. This game-changing food isn’t just better for you, it’s better for animals and the planet, too. Our commitment to innovation knows no bounds. With a portfolio that includes yogurt, cream cheese, dips, butter, sour cream, cheese, and filled pasta we are elevating expectations of what plant-based food can be. Every day we are coming up with new ideas and pushing dairy-free food to taste better than ever before. Because at Kite Hill we do not play the game, we change it.
Our Core Values:
- We make Great Tasting Plant Based Foods
- Imagination Drives Innovation
- Do Good
- Do the Right Thing Even When No One is Watching
- We are Better Together
- We are Passionate and Enjoy the Journey
- Everyone is Included
Diversity and Inclusion at Kite Hill:
Kite Hill is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination or harassment of any kind. We passionately value diversity and inclusion on all levels and believe that everyone should bring their authentic self to work every day. We believe that the power of differences, active debate, listening, and a willingness to learn make us a more effective organization.
Reporting to the Sr. Manger of R&D, the R&D Scientist is a critical member of the R&D team. Using proven technical expertise, the R&D Scientist will execute a range of activities spanning innovation, day to day trouble shooting, and cost optimization. The role will be very hands-on requiring close involvement from product development in the lab through process scale-up, plant trials/commissioning, and product launch. They will be able to build strong relationships with all partner functions, but primarily with the Marketing, Quality, and the Operations teams realizing the value from these frequent cross-functional interactions to execute the company vision.
Work with functional and cross-functional colleagues to manage the development of and deployment of technical strategies to ensure product relevancy, insightful and category leading innovation, cost savings projects and efficiency gains to fuel business growth, with a high standard of Quality and Food Safety performance.
- Independently manage projects with limited supervision from Sr. R&D Manager. Projects can include: cost savings, new product development, line extension and business continuity
- Benchtop formulating and supporting plant trials/first production runs
- In close collaboration with the Sr. R&D Manager, help support the innovation and optimization agenda
- Be a technical partner with the Supply Chain team to ensure operational excellence and cost/efficiency targets are achieved in projects
- Work closely with the Quality team to deliver the highest quality and safety standards of finished products.
- Identify (internally & externally) and develop new technology (product, manufacturing process) opportunities to drive better and faster innovation.
- Support shelf life and sensory program
- Manage R&D lab which includes: replenishing raw materials by requesting from plant/supplier, managing samples (developing, labeling, shipping, documenting), and adhering to good laboratory practices.
- During new product development projects, ensure consistent product superiority over key competitors while staying in line with brand positioning and business strategy.
- Work with technical services team to identify competitive and superior claims and messaging while ensuring compliance and protecting the business from legal risk and harm.
You will have:
- 3 + years in a technical or science field with various roles including product and process development, displaying hands-on technical capability. The ideal candidate will have an R&D background within the CPG Food industry
- Experience in fermentation processes and technologies, ideally in plant-based applications, though open to dairy as well.
- Experience developing a product from concept to commercialization required.
- Attending trials and first production runs experience required
- Culinary knowledge and experience with a passion for food.
- Successful track record managing and launching new products into the market
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s), NLEA (Nutritional Labeling Education Act) and FALCPA (Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act.)
- Familiar with Quality Control programs HACCP, SSOP, SQF
- Flexibility to travel up to 25%
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering, Nutrition or closely related field