Who doesn’t love meat? Summer BBQs and friends around the campfire enjoying a succulent, delicious burger, packed with protein. Yep, meat rocks. The only problem is meat comes with baggage—greenhouse gasses, environmental degradation, nutritional concerns, and the welfare of animals. But what if the meat we love could be a force for good, helping to reverse these challenges?
Omeat's mission is to pioneer game-changing solutions to the health, environmental, and animal welfare challenges posed by animal agriculture. We’re developing a scalable approach to producing cultured meat – meat grown from cells, outside the animal -- that's every bit as delicious and nourishing as conventional meat.
We are led by Ali Khademhosseini, one of the top tissue engineers in the world, previously at Harvard and MIT for 16 years. We’re looking for team members who want to change history. Fellow visionaries ready to sink their teeth into one of the greatest challenges humanity faces, creating a new future -- a future full of hope with clear-running streams, teeming oceans, thriving wildlife, and healthy communities. Are you in?
As a subject matter expert in food science, this Food Scientist or Senior Food Scientist will work closely with our Product and R&D Science teams to develop a cell-cultured meat product that meets our product brief.
- Lead development projects that result in the creation of cell-cultured meat products that meet the target flavor, color, texture, and nutritional profiles set by the product brief
- Must be comfortable with developing innovative solutions to traditional food science problems by using only clean-label ingredients or ingredients within our existing technology platform
- Discover, design, and conduct experiments that deploy a variety of analytical assays to identify the key flavor, color, texture, and nutritional attributes in cell-cultured meat products. This research will be recorded and reviewed to understand change over time to optimize the product.
- Collaborate with external suppliers/partners in identifying new ingredient technologies that could be leveraged in our product
- Develop, maintain, and manage a system/database to retain documents, ingredients, products, and labeling requirements for packaged foods, and integrate previous and current results to determine the next experimental steps and the impact.
- Perform administrative tasks including updating formula databases and record maintenance. Maintain accurate project files, formulas, specifications, and data.
- Provide regulatory and compliance guidance and answer compliance-related questions regarding food products, by emerging/new regulations, advising of upcoming regulations, and evaluating the overall impact on the business.
- Analysis of final products to ensure compliance with labeling standards, food consistency, and adherence to cost standards.
- Provide operations and manufacturing support during scale-up/pilot plant commercialization. Must be able to travel to plants (internal and external) to support the commercialization of products.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE / SKILLS / COMPETENCIES / ATTRIBUTES
This Roles Minimum Skills and Qualifications
- Communicate reports clearly and concisely to cross-functional teammates and the senior leadership team
- Stay abreast of relevant and current flavor, color, and texture technologies
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Food Science, Material Science, Biochemistry, Bio-organic chemistry, or applicable industry experience in related areas
- 4+ years of experience in product development, food labeling, regulation, food manufacturing, food retail, and/or similar experience.
- Familiar with FDA/USDA regulations
- Experience with ready-to-cook products, reaction flavors, flavor interactions, meat texturizing elements, lipid chemistry, and key flavor and aroma compounds in meat.
- Familiar with meat science
- Ability to utilize statistical programs to analyze and interpret data, communicate, and provide recommendations as needed.
- Extensive experience in identifying, characterizing, and creating flavor/color/texturizing compounds to meet overall product target
- Familiar with flavor chemistry and creating flavor profiles of meat products.
- Experience in designing and developing analytical assays, product development processes, and applied sensory research is highly desirable
Work schedule: Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5:30 pm.
Reports to: Sr. Product Manager
Location: Los Angeles
Minimal travel anticipated
- Comprehensive health benefits (medical, dental, and vision coverage).
- Unlimited PTO.
- 401(k) matching.
- 16 weeks of 100% Paid Parental Leave.
- Cell Phone Reimbursement