Manus Bio is a next-generation industrial biotechnology company headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts that produces plant-based ingredients. We use a variety of patented and proprietary technologies for engineering microbes for the production of specialty chemicals, such as food ingredients, agricultural chemicals, and pharmaceuticals. We are seeking a motivated individual for a research scientist position that will specialize in developing novel biochemical pathways in microbial hosts. This person will be expected to tackle a variety of challenges as an integral part of Manus Bio’s R&D team and will work at the interface of chemical biology, biochemistry and metabolic engineering.Why Work At Manus Bio
- Opportunity – For motivated, results-oriented team members, our growth creates opportunities for personal and professional advancement.
- Accountability – You are given the resources you need to succeed and the freedom to make it happen; in return, we hold each other accountable for our high expectations.
- Passion – We love what we do and enjoy working with others who feel the same way. We embrace the challenge and hard work that come with working on the cutting edge.
- Construct, test, and optimize novel biosynthetic pathways using various metabolic engineering and synthetic biology tools
- Apply your knowledge of chemistry, biochemistry, and gene discovery to propose enzymatic routes for recreating biosynthetic pathways to produce desired natural products (NP) and NP-like compounds
- Apply knowledge of biochemistry, enzymology, and analytical chemistry to improve understanding of engineered strains
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary scientific team to implement experimental plans and achieve project goals
- Communicate results of experiments with colleagues
- Ph.D. or equivalent in Chemical Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, or a related field
- Experience in cloning and microbial expression of enzymes
- Experience in retrosynthetic analysis
Preferred Working Style
- Experience working with E. coli or other similar microorganisms
- Experience with purification of small molecules from complex biological mixtures
- Experience with various forms of analytical chemistry experience, including LC and LC/MS
- Experience in enzyme characterization
- Knowledge of bioinformatic approaches for enzyme discovery
- Must be very well-organized and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be a quick learner who is self-motivated and able to ask questions and seek clarity.
- Must be flexible with day-to-day duties and able to thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Must be an excellent team member with strong communication skills and a desire to work collaboratively.
- Must hold themselves to the highest professional, scientific and ethical standards.